China and Taiwan ? Are they one China?
If we organise a poll of most used country name in recent time the result we are all sure about is China. Officially known as PRC (People’s Republic of China) is a East Asian country and currently second biggest economy in the world. Few words that comes in our mind when we hear the word China – Non Democratic, no freedom , authoritarian , CPC i.e. Communist party of China and many more. The reason for so much popularity of this China in recent days comes due to dissent with US. Communist regime has a common trend that they follow “ appeasing population by expanding area”. China too falls in that category. There is blurry image of China in mind of most of us that is just because of lack of information, these situation arises in issues such as Tibet, Hong Kong , Taiwan and How Communist party came to power in China. The last two are completely intertwined . So let’s begin…
History of China from “China to PRC”
I will try to make bullet points in chronological order.
1. Qing Dynasty , ruled China for long time , but like other regions people became fed up of foreign influence of colonising countries and their greed. This created internal revolt atmosphere and nationalism flowing in air like nowhere else.
2. Sun Yat-sen
,also known as father of modern China , was one the leaders pushing for republic and democratic China. His three principles were San Min Chui , each have their own meaning , Nationalism , Democracy and Socialism respectively. Under his leadership many republic revolution occurred. After revolution the country fell into great turmoil. At this point of time two organisations namely Guomindang (National People’s Party) and CCP (Communist party of China) emerged as the major force for uniting the country.
3. Chiang Kai-shek
, the name which has lost its mightiness now , but then he lead Guomindang and launched many military campaigns to silent dissenting voice in the nation and consolidate feeling of Nationalism and unity. He was great supporter of secularism and this worldly Confucianism ( Confucius has as great stature as Kautilya for India ) . He always aimed for eliminating Regional rulers and communists.
4. Mao Zedong
, a communist leader , founder of Maoist ideology, led Socialist Revolution in China in 1949 stating Guomindang has betrayed and never fulfilled the needs of the peasants and workers. This started a great peasant movement or better to say Communist movement and threw Guomindang out of power and forcefully usurped the power.
5. As a result of that Chiang Kai-shek had to flee the country in 1949 with available country treasure to the island of Taiwan
at that time it was earlier under Japanese Imperial control but World War ending had some other plans and Taiwan was returned to China . There Chiang Kai-shek led the foundation of ROC ( Republic of China ) . ROC formally joined United Nations ( UN ) as the collective representative of RoC and Communist China. Communist China was named PRC ( People’s Republic of China ) and they claimed they are the sole representative of China . But lack of formal documents of power transfer was their drawback it meant CCP are illegally ruling the region.
6. The main turn in history took place in 1971 , when PRC diplomatically won over RoC and on Oct 25 , 1971 , A resolution was brought to UNGA ( United Nations General Assembly ) . The resolution was named Restoration of lawful rights of People’s Republic of China , also known as UNGA Resolution 2758.
If you ask about my personal views about this declaration , I would say recognising PRC was a good move but “ Unrecognition of ROC government” was drastic step. This lead to leaving no scope for a earlier country to make diplomatic relations with any countries in the world.
7. This resolution meant Taiwan is part of China , but hitherto Taiwan has succeeded to maintain informal relations with major countries like USA , India etc.
8. So now it’s easy for you all to understand what is One China Policy , most of the countries accepted one China policy as PRC didn’t seemed any future threat to world. This list includes countries like USA India Pakistan and all major countries. Only few countries in the world recognise it as a nation and only major among them is Holy See (administration of Vatican City) .
New Developments in this Issue
There are many reports stating China will be doing a military action for acquiring Taiwan. Global Times , mouth piece of CCP, many times had tried to threaten Taiwan. Recent reports have stated that Taiwan might sign a defence pact with US , which will allow US to enter directly in the matter , a defence Pact means that it will be responsibility of US to protect Taiwan from Chinese aggression. This issue also has relation with result of US elections.
In this blog I have tried to make things clear for you. It’s the need of the hour for all of us , Indians to know about this as we and PRC had openly confronted at various fronts , so diplomacy will allow us some extra space to counter Chinese aggression. Hope you liked the blog . Will seek pardon if any of the information mentioned wrong and suggestions wholeheartedly welcomed.
Follow us on social media
You may also like